turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 State Taxes rejected due to my expert filing a W2 from 2019. I need to file an amendment according to the state tax office. Please advise.

Aloha,

Our 2020 Hawaii state income tax was rejected by the state of Hawaii due to our expert filing the wrong W-2 (2019). They have stated we need to file an amendment and we need to know how to go about this process and who may assist us with refiling our 2020 state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

2020 State Taxes rejected due to my expert filing a W2 from 2019. I need to file an amendment according to the state tax office. Please advise.

What "expert" used a 2019 W-2 on a 2020 tax return?   Do you mean one of the "Live" experts at TurboTax used a wrong W-2?    Or do you mean someone you paid locally used a wrong W-2?    This does not make a lot of sense, since with TurboTax the information flows from the federal return to the state return.   So if TurboTax software was used then the W-2 had to be entered into the federal return---which would also be wrong then.   How did the "expert" get hold of the wrong W-2?

If some other software was used to prepare your 2020 return you will not be able to use TurboTax to fix the problem, since you cannot fix a state return in isolation from the federal return with this software.   You need to get it fixed by whoever prepared the original return.

Please provide some additional details of what happened if this happened using TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It was a Live expert through Turbo Tax that filed our returns. We submitted all the documents she requested and I believe the 2019 W-2 was also uploaded in the bundle of documents by mistake and somehow was used to file our return. I just need to know how we can fix it. Please advise. 

If you used the Live service then contact your Live expert for this.    If your 2019 W-2 was used then it is likely that your federal return is wrong too.  You paid for Live help---use it.

You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How to fix it.

Did you  supply your 2020 W-2(s) also ?

• Open your tax return, as originally filed.
  • Start the Amend process.
  • Delete the 2019 W-2.
  • if you now have zero wages, you will have to enter the correct W-2.
  • Fill out the 1040-X Part III Explanation explaining what you did.

this doesn't seem possible. if the w-2 for 2019 was entered in the 2020 return then the federal should also have been rejected.   also, it seems that the info that the state agent gave you is also incorrect.  if your state return was rejected it was never filed. you correct and resubmit an original return.  it shouldn't be possible to process an amended return if an original has never been filed.

If you had one of the TT  experts   file your return and they SIGNED the return then they could not have used the TT program  AND  they must be the one to amend the federal & state returns (for free) if they didn't notice that you uploaded the 2019 form by accident.   

Look at your return ... on the 1040 their contact information will be with their signature on page 2.  Their contact info should also be in the PDF of the return in more than one place.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies