turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 Pathers EITC/ACTC Update here

is just claiming 2 children the ACTC?  

I’m confused.  

i claim my 2 children every year n never get held up 

not to sound stupid.... but i can’t for the life of me.... what is PATH?? 

Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH)

Refund timing for PATH act, EIC and Additional Child Tax Credit

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

how does this only affect some filers? 

also, i claim  my 2 children and never have had a hold up.. is the ACTC??? or am i doing just regular tax care credit??

im confused..

@riafit  You should be able to view your completed return to see if you have CTC or ACTC. If you have only CTC, that credit will not hold up your refund. If you have ACTC, that will put your refund on hold until mid February.

Mine still hasn't been approved. Filed the 17th and was accepted.

The 27th Is this normal?

It can depend on the volume as to when you’ll be approved and receive a direct deposit date or DDD. It’s a waiting game for everyone right now b/c the IRS just started accepting returns on Monday (27th). I’m sure you’ll be approved soon.

Thank you! I did access my tax return.  It does appear I see additional child tax credit, and there is an amount there. My tax situation is the same every year and every year my income is more.  Clearly, I get teh ACTC every year.   That being said, I checked and each year I have gotten my refund in February, sometimes by the 8th,  the LATEST was february 22nd and that corresponded with a later filing date of early february. 

So, I'm confused why I anyone is saying a hold up or March, God forbid..haha  

Anyone with the PATH Message will see an update on the Irs website on 2/15 with a DDD of 2/21. Basing this off of history. I still have my screen shots from previous years. Lol 

what's a path message?  Mine just says accepted and the topic 152

@riafit  Here’s what the PATH Act message looks like in WMR:

“According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. This applies to the entire refund, even the portion not associated with these credits.

Check Where's My Refund in mid- to late February for your personalized refund status. It's updated once a day and remains the best way to check the status of your refund.“

@Lvlybrneyes37  did you see where I mentioned above regarding my previous dates...never later than the 22nd and only because I didn't file til the first week of february.

@riafit  Oh, I believe you! What I’ve learned over the years is that tax time can be a unique experience for everyone. We’re promised one thing and something totally different occurs. But, what’s for sure is that we all need our money!

Yes me too.  Last year was the worse.  I'm still not understanding what is the purpose for the IRS to do all this.  Seems like they should have a system in place to detect fraud.  But that's the government for you.  I filed mine on the 27th, accepted on the 28th and it still has just one bar on WMR.  Just says it was received.  Yes I claimed the EIC as always.  The IRS needs to get better with this.

Not necessarily.  I went through the same thing year and got my refund before then.  So it all depends on how they're distributing and accepting them.  I just think it's all game that the IRS is playing and come up with.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies