turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 Pathers EITC/ACTC Update here

No, the PATH is not a game the IRS is playing.  They are trying to protect the governments money and yours. Dependents, earned income and child tax are widely used by thieves to steal money by submitting false returns with others information. These refunds are normally the biggest so they are targeted by thieves more. They are simply holding all returns with path and double checking before sending out refunds. The more thieves steal from the IRS the more taxes go up to recoup  that money. It's only 1 week longer than the normal 21 day wait. I always get money in the 22nd in the bank. 

@caron1981  in previous years i have had mine by the 13th

Yes, but it should not be where they're holding hundreds of peoples refunds at one time just to benefit from this simple act.  Where was it ten years ago, oh they just decided, well lets make the tax payers wait until we say they can have their money, when sometimes this is just a time when some of us can enjoy spending their hard earned money..  Like I said, it's always something with the government, but grant it, if they're filing taxes and have kids, their refunds are not held up.  Believe they're not.  Just a bunch of bull

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

The IRS usually begins issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit in late February.

If your return contains either of these credits, you can track its status at the IRS Where's My Refund?  site.

Here is more information:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/some-federal-refunds-will-be-delayed-due-to-the...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

mine still just has 1 bar, was also accepted on the 22nd

@DonnaLO  i wouldn't consider the 8th or the 17th late february.  Last year I got mine on the 8th.  Only once was I held up until the 22nd and this was when I filed early february.  

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

The IRS usually begins issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit in late February.

If your return contains either of these credits, you can track its status at the IRS Where's My Refund?  site.

Here is more information:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/some-federal-refunds-will-be-delayed-due-to-the...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For people with PATH aka child tax credits and so forth, you will not get a refund or even an updated WMR until after the 15 of February. If you got an refund before the 15th of February then you were not claiming child tax credits, hence you got a refund before the 15th. 

@Bosrox81 Did you get your dd today?

It is what it is. No matter what you think the IRS probably can careless as they make the rules. Not trying to be rude but be thankful you're getting money back to begin with. Waiting an extra week or two shouldn't make your financial work collapse. Or you could go live in a 3rd world country where they take taxes and give nothing back. 

@caron1981 wrote:

It is what it is. No matter what you think the IRS probably can careless as they make the rules.taxes and give nothing back. 

Just a slight clarification.   The IRS does NOT make the rules.  It is called the PATH ACT, because it was an act of Congress, (a law) that made the "rule which is a law.   The IRS only applies and enforces the law that Congress passed.

The reason for the delay is to allow time for the IRS to receive W-2's and other forms to verify income before blindly paying claimed refunds that are based on that income in order to prevent tax fraud by claiming refunds that are based on income that does not exist.   Claiming fake income to get EIC/ACTC credits was a high runner tax fraud prior to the PATH ACT.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm sorry.  But do you work for the IRS

I totally agree.  I'm just stating that they could care less about anything that's going on.  So, yes, i'm glad to be getting a refund (which I have for the past 20 years).  So yeah.  It is what it is

YA'LL NEED TO CALM DOWN.

this post is to update everyone with what is going on.

not to be telling people they don't know something 

update with your status.

us with PATH won't get any updates until after the 15th.

so just relax. and wait.

@brsawyer  Exactly the purpose of this post/thread. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies