turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2017 Amend

Hello, 

I hope you are all well and healthy. This is my situation. I had filled a 2017 tax return with Turbotax. But after a long, while I was able to get all the W-2s I was missing. Therefore to finally amend it. I proceed as the website suggested, download the original file, download 2017 amend software and finally complete what was missing. The software work great until the end. When I get to a page that says, 

"Nicely done, Just 3 things to go" 1." Save your amend returns, other than NY" 2. "Print your returns other than NY"3. "E file you amend NY return". So I processed to save the Federal Amend, which is great. BUT, when I make a click on the: "continue" button to proceed with the e-file of the amend NY return it went to next page that says "We are ready to file your taxes" and stayed there even though I click again and again on the present "continue" bottom on that page. 

I have been at since morning with no hope of completing this task. I have tried everything even other software, but nothing seems to be working, Does anybody can help me?. If I need to buy a more expensive Turbotax software I am willing to do it. Well, I open to all suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to read, stay safe and healthy.

Ollie 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

2017 Amend

NY e-file for amendments would not be available for 2017. You would need to print and mail it in. 

Please see the directions below:

How do I print my amended return if I've closed out of it?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

2017 Amend

You will find the instructions and address at the very bottom of this form but I am posting it below for you also: Instructions for Form IT-201-X Amended Resident Income Tax Return

Here are the mailing addresses for mailing in your New York State Form IT-201-X, Amended Resident Income Tax Return:

If enclosing a payment (check or money order):

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 15555

ALBANY NY 12212-5555

If not enclosing a payment:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 61000

ALBANY NY 12261-0001

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

2017 Amend

NY e-file for amendments would not be available for 2017. You would need to print and mail it in. 

Please see the directions below:

How do I print my amended return if I've closed out of it?

2017 Amend

Thank you so much for your help. You are truly an expert. If may  I abuse your generosity just a bit more. I am able to see the mail address for the 2017 Federal Amend Tax return. But not for the 2017 New York State amend tax return since it was originally supposed to be e-file. Do you happen to know it? I just want to have the right information.

Thank you once again, stay healthy.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

2017 Amend

You will find the instructions and address at the very bottom of this form but I am posting it below for you also: Instructions for Form IT-201-X Amended Resident Income Tax Return

Here are the mailing addresses for mailing in your New York State Form IT-201-X, Amended Resident Income Tax Return:

If enclosing a payment (check or money order):

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 15555

ALBANY NY 12212-5555

If not enclosing a payment:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 61000

ALBANY NY 12261-0001

2017 Amend

Thank you so much, CassLO you were really really wonderful. I wish the best, stay healthy.🙏

2017 Amend

Dear ClassLo,

I hope this message finds you well and healthy. I was hoping you could help me with this conundrum. As you know from our previous messages. I was planning to mail my 2017 taxes, but my financial circumstances have changed for the worst. As per my return, I own $86 dollars to the IRS. This may not seem like much but my funds in my check-in acct are $175. I am still waiting for my unemployment case to be completed, which could take another month or two months, seeing how things are working in the Dept of Labor.

Therefore my questions are:

Can I just file my 2017 NY taxes return?

Will it go through without filling my Federal tax return and will I get a refund?

If I do not file my Federal tax return at all, will I face any penalties?

Taking into account the return is from 2017, don't they have deadline of three years for filling amend returns?

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance. Take care.

Kind Regards,

Seyni P. Olivera

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

2017 Amend

Yes, you can file your 2017 New York tax return in.  You will need to mail it in.  As your New York return is based off of your federal tax return, you do need to file both.

As for your 2017 federal taxes, you could potentially face additional penalties and interest if you do not file it as soon as you are able to. 

You can file it and submit an installment payment plan request if you need with the IRS.  See the following link for instructions on how to do that.  This will allow you to set up a payment plan with the IRS to pay off your debt.

IRS payment plan options

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies