turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040x sent to wrong address

I sent 1040x for 2018 tax year to the IRS office in Louisville, KY back in June 2021. I kept checking on IRS website to see the status of the amendment, but the system kept saying that the amended return information is unavailable. It is only today that I realized that 1040x should be sent to Kasas City IRS address. What do I do now? Should I mail a second copy to the Kasas City office or just wait for my mail to be forwarded to the right address?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS made changes earlier this year in the addresses for amended returns. If you're amending a 2018 tax return, you must be using the 2018 TurboTax program. TurboTax stops updating the software for past years after it's a couple of years old, so they probably just didn't update the 2018 software for the new addresses. The IRS web site will always give you the current information. It does not depend on what year you are filing for.

New Information for Form 1040-X Filers

View solution in original post

6 Replies

This is the only situation where I would send a second copy and make sure it gets to the correct address.  Be sure to send it by a certified mail service so you do know that it was received.

I'm still confused on the address to mail. In the turbotax 1040x package that I downloaded, they have listed IRS Kansas city address, but IRS website tells you if you live in Georgia, mail to IRS office in Austin. what is the right address?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do what the IRS says. Mail it to Austin.

Read page 9 of the IRS instructions closely.   It says it also depends on why you are amending 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf 

Thank you. I live in Georgia, so IRS clearly says Austin. I'm filing amendment for 2018 return. Could that be the reason why Turbotax says mail to Kansas? Should you be just looking at the address on the latest IRS instruction form or does the mailing address change based on which year's amendment you are filing?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS made changes earlier this year in the addresses for amended returns. If you're amending a 2018 tax return, you must be using the 2018 TurboTax program. TurboTax stops updating the software for past years after it's a couple of years old, so they probably just didn't update the 2018 software for the new addresses. The IRS web site will always give you the current information. It does not depend on what year you are filing for.

New Information for Form 1040-X Filers

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies