Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Previous Tax Returns

I filed my taxes under 2018 and it was supposed to be year 2016. I filed and it was rejected. Can I just change the year somehow
2 Replies
Level 15

Previous Tax Returns

NO, you cannot change the year of the software you used.  Be very glad that return was rejected if you used the current online software and entered 2016 income information.  If it had been accepted you would just have a mess to deal with.  The current online software is ONLY for preparing a 2018 return.    Each tax year has its own software written for the tax laws in effect for the specific year.


Online preparation and e-filing for 2016 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.


**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 13

Previous Tax Returns

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings