turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pending e-file Status

Hello - I read posts around pending status for Federal and State returns for last few months. However, I have couple of questions that I need little more information on. 

It's been more than 12 hours I filed my Federal and State returns and they show up as Pending. Although its normal for state returns to be pending for days, Federal generally gets accepted/rejected within couple of hours (at least that's been the case for me for last decade). I understand that during the initial period when IRS starts processing returns, it is normal to have returns in pending state for days. However, this later in the processing stage, is this type of processing delay normal? 

Also, is there a granular status besides pending i.e. is it still with TurboTax or TurboTax has transmitted those to relevant tax authorities?

Appreciate your help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Pending e-file Status

Nothing is normal with the IRS this year. The tax filing deadline is Monday so the IRS volume is probably high. That may delay acceptance of your return.

You can check Where's My Refund? Statuses are supposed to be available 24 hours after e-filing, though there have been delays there as well.

Pending means your returns were transmitted. TurboTax will send a second email/text notification when your return is accepted.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Pending e-file Status

If your return is pending, you should be fine. Your submitted e-filed return doesn't need to be accepted on May 17 for it to be considered on-time. As long as you transmitted your return by 11:59 p.m. local time on May 17 you should be fine.

If your return is rejected on May 17 you'll have through May 22 to re-submit your federal return by e-file, or mail your return.

@Anonymous

As long as you transmit your return before midnight, May 17, your return is considered timely filed even if it takes a few days to get accepted.   The Electronic Postmark is a timestamp of when your return was transmitted. Here's how to print out a hard copy for your records:

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download software

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Pending e-file Status

Nothing is normal with the IRS this year. The tax filing deadline is Monday so the IRS volume is probably high. That may delay acceptance of your return.

You can check Where's My Refund? Statuses are supposed to be available 24 hours after e-filing, though there have been delays there as well.

Pending means your returns were transmitted. TurboTax will send a second email/text notification when your return is accepted.

Pending e-file Status

Thank you. Keeping fingers crossed 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pending e-file Status

Just to be clear: When you say that the returns have been submitted, does that mean that, for the purposes of filing taxes on time, the returns are in the hands of the government? I want to be sure than, even though my returns are still pending, that I will not be charged late fees for filing late if they are not accepted by midnight of May 17.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Pending e-file Status

If your return is pending, you should be fine. Your submitted e-filed return doesn't need to be accepted on May 17 for it to be considered on-time. As long as you transmitted your return by 11:59 p.m. local time on May 17 you should be fine.

If your return is rejected on May 17 you'll have through May 22 to re-submit your federal return by e-file, or mail your return.

@Anonymous

As long as you transmit your return before midnight, May 17, your return is considered timely filed even if it takes a few days to get accepted.   The Electronic Postmark is a timestamp of when your return was transmitted. Here's how to print out a hard copy for your records:

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pending e-file Status

Thank you!

Manup048
Returning Member

Pending e-file Status

Hello,

I am having difficulty e-filing federal return. can someone from the turbo tax help me?

Pending e-file Status

I'd suggest creating a separate thread for this so it gets relevant attention. Besides this, you'll need to provide more details around your issue

Pending e-file Status

Indeed things seem to be unusual. My federal return got accepted few mins back. 🙂

Andycas
Returning Member

Pending e-file Status

it's been over a month that I  filed my taxes  I E-Filed  payed for the service and no status

Pending e-file Status

@Andycas Millions of people are waiting for the severely backlogged IRS to process their tax returns.   First make sure your e-file was accepted and then make sure you are using the correct federal refund amount when you go to the IRS site.

Check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 34of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Sadly, the IRS refund site has been behaving erratically and has not always been reliable this year.   TurboTax has no control over this and cannot find out anything about your refund for you.

To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies