hfang1989

Partial resident tax return in NJ

My wife and I filed the NJ 2020 tax return as partial residents. Because my wife worked in NJ and CA in 2020. I was working in CA only. The turbotax helped us filed both NJ-1040 and NJ-1040NR.

Today, I just received the notice from NJ regarding my non-resident return, which has amount due. It asks me to pay the amount due. However, my resident return has the refund, which is more than the amount due on non-resident return. 

I am wondering if the NJ tax division handles the resident return and non-resident return separately? Will I receive the refund in a different mail? Thanks for your help in advance.

fanfare

Partial resident tax return in NJ

You have to figure that when you file a resident and a non-resident NJ return, your returns will be reviewed by a  person, sooner or later.

hfang1989

Partial resident tax return in NJ

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand your statement. I mailed the paperwork created by the turbotax to the NJ tax division. Should they review my paperwork?

fanfare

Partial resident tax return in NJ

" It asks me to pay the amount due. "

Unless you intend to dispute the adjustment,

it is recommended that you follow the instructions and pay up.

Partial resident tax return in NJ

How did you possibly file 2 NJ returns for the same tax year ?   Did you file separately from your spouse ?  

fanfare

Partial resident tax return in NJ

@Critter-3 

In NJ this is permitted if you are not a resident for the entire year.

hfang1989

Partial resident tax return in NJ

No, We filed jointly

hfang1989

Partial resident tax return in NJ

Then what I can do to ask them to review my resident return?

hfang1989

Partial resident tax return in NJ

Thanks @fanfare 

I just checked the refund status on NJ tax division. It shows me that it is being processed. 

Can I assume that they are process the amount due and refund separately? I will pay for the amount due now and wait for the refund process to finish. Any advices from you? Thanks.

fanfare

Partial resident tax return in NJ

@hfang1989 

That's what you should do.

If there are any other issues, NJ will contact you.