Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

azo1943

Paid IRS twice. how do i get it back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
ddaven12

Please contact IRS e-file payment services at 1-888-353-4537. Representatives are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to assist you with your duplicate payment.

I paid the amount due on my 1040 two times by accident on April 12. I never contacted the IRS about this; I was planning to get around to it eventually. On April 28 the IRS mailed me a check for the complete extra amount paid, with no explanatory letter.

Have called it’s numbers without success about double payment of 4491.00. Need help.......

Done that, they can’t help.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

In most cases, the IRS will automatically refund the extra payment as long as both payments were clearly marked for the same tax year and the taxpayer does not owe any additional funds for other years. 

It may take a bit of time, especially under current conditions, to see the refund.  

You can also write to the IRS - but at this time I do not recommend this as their backlog of mail is reported to exceed ten million pieces at the moment.  

If possible, you may wish to see if your bank can cancel one of the payments in the mean time.  

bobrynes
Returning Member

I have the same situation.  Did you ever get yours resolved?

Calling the IRS is a exercise in futility.  Its no wonder the government is in debt up to its eyeballs.  Pathetic joke 

Terry2011

Hi, I made a mistake and paid my taxes for 2022 twice.

I paid $944 on 4/15/2022.

I also paid on the 3/26/2022.

How can I get a refund for the second payment?

Did you really  make 2 estimated payments for the 2022 tax year ?    Or was one for the balance due on the 2021 return(3/26)   and one for the 2022 estimate (4/15) ?  

if you did pay your 2021 taxes twice. you file in 2022 for 2021 taxes. eventually, the IRS will catch this and send you a check. how long this will take is unknown.  if the second payment was in fact indicated for 2022, there's no way to get it back. you can take credit for it when you file your 2022 return in 2023

thank you so much, this was so helpful. I called the IRS using your prompt guidance and confirmed I don't have to do anything and the IRS will automatically issue me a refund for paying my taxes twice accidentally! crossing my fingers I get the refund sooner than later.

-David 

@dcamm78 Just checking to see if the IRS did in fact mail you the check? If so, how long did it take?

cvetyab

I also paid twice as at first they rejected my return and turbo tax said they won’t send the payment so I had to file for extension and paid again on IRS site. But TurboTax sent the payment as well. This was on April 18, anyone got a check back yet not sure if it’s worth sitting on the phone with them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies