turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overpaid for "Amount paid with request for extension to file"

So I filed an on Time extension for my taxes this year, at that time I owed $2300 so i paid it online and can see that on my tax transcript.

My reason for getting an extension  was due to me waiting on SS numbers for my children as their ITIN numbers had expired. 

Last month i got the new SS and filed my taxes where I was due to get a refund on top of the previously overpaid amount.

I have received the payment for my tax return and also a missing amount from the 3rd stimulus due to getting my kids ss numbers. However I'm still missing the original overpayment amount of 2300. How long will it take for the IRS to give me this money back? On my taxes it was all included in schedule 3 line 9

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

If it was included on your return Schedule 3 line 9 then sorry, it is already accounted for in your refund or tax due.   It either reduced your tax due or increased your refund.   You don't get it back separately.  If you had not paid it then you tax due would be more.

That seems odd as the amount they paid me is the correct amount down to penny if you remove what I had already paid in advance. Even my transcript online shows the -2300 that I over paid.

My refund according to turbo tax was 5000, I over paid by 2300, they have already refunded me  2700 are you sure that i'm not missing the 2300?

Sorry I don't follow you.   Did you get the refund amount that's on 1040 line 35a?   If the extension payment is included on your 1040 line 31 then it is part of the refund you got.

Oh I missed your second paragraph about the 5,000.  Where do you see 5,000?

31 - 2300

35a - 5000

I was refunded 2700 so I'm missing the 2300 i paid with the extension 

These are not my real amount but used them as a reference to be safe.

Then you have to ask the IRS.  Maybe they adjusted your return for something else.   They will mail you a letter explaining.   Do you have an amount on line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit?   That's been a problem.   Or the refund you got was for something else like the 3rd Stimulus payment and not your 2020 tax refund.   

Yeah line 30 was the amount they did not pay me from the previous stimulus payouts due to the ss numbers. I calculated the amounts and i'm 100% sure the amount left is what i paid early when filling for the extension 

runningturtle
Returning Member

Have you got the refund of the overpaid amount later by any chance? I got the same problem when filing the extention for my 2020 tax return ($1,000 overpaid). Until now I haven't received the refund from IRS.

ffpkm

I am having the exact same issue. IRS only refunded me the amount on line 35a minus the overpayment when filing the extension. 

Also, “where’s my refund” status is showing “the refund Is still being processed”. Not sure what’s happening this year, but this is the first time I’ve ever experienced such a situation.

I still don't have my money, the transcript shows -2300 just not sure how to get it and you cannot call them what a joke

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax does not get any information from the IRS regarding taxpayers individual situations other than if a return has been accepted or rejected. 

To get any information, you would need to keep calling the IRS at 800-829-1040.  They are open Monday thru Friday 7AM-7PM. They are the only ones who can answer your question. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed the 2020 tax using TurboTax and have the same exact issue. I have not received the overpaid for "amount paid with request for extension to file". I suspect this is TurboTax problem. Please help! 

Same here. Very frustrating!

ffpkm

I doubt it is TurboTax’s problem as I mailed in the tax return prepared by TurboTax. IRS is having serious problem, and I heard multiple similar cases that IRS hasn’t yet refunded the 2020 overpayment.

I called IRS three months ago, and the agent was confused by the situation as well. She told me the problem would be solved in a month, which was another joke. Tried to call them again and never succeeded.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies