ed7180

No Status for Federal Return

I mailed in my federal return in last May for the 2020 tax season. I checked the where's my refund tool on the IRS website and it doesn't seem to have my return at all. I already received my state return (also mailed) so I'm not sure if I should mail my federal return again or just keep waiting.

Thanks

No Status for Federal Return

You need to continue to wait on the federal tax refund.  The IRS is taking months to start processing mailed 2020 tax return.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 3, 2021, we had 16.8 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

ed7180

No Status for Federal Return

So is it normal for the where's my refund tool to not even show they have received it for mail ins? I was hoping to at least see they had received it but it was just in the backlog. I'm a bit concerned since I don't have any confirmation or proof that the IRS has actually gotten my tax return.

Thanks

No Status for Federal Return

Just because your return hit the mail room doesn't mean it is being processed yet ... until a data input operator enters the return in the system it will not show up on the IRS WMR? tool.  All you can do is wait until the understaffed overworked IRS agents get to your return in the pipeline.