Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am now a UK resident (past 2 years) is it possible to use turbo tax to file my 2016 taxes?

I used a 3rd party company for 2015. Also our total family earnings are less than the foreign income exclusion and will therefore owe no tax in the US
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am now a UK resident (past 2 years) is it possible to use turbo tax to file my 2016 taxes?

As a US citizen, you can file Married Filing Jointly or Separately with your spouse on Form 1040 to report worldwide income.  You surely can use TurboTax to file.

To enter your wages / income as foreign income and foreign income exclusion in TurboTax online program, here are the steps:

1.  After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 

5.   On screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ? make your selection 

6.  Continue to follow the step-by-step interview instructions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Are you a US citizen or greencard holder ?  If not, how long have you been staying in US ?

My wife and I are both US citizens but also hold British citizenship. We lived in the US from 1995 until late 2014. My wife is employed by a UK employer and I am an independent contractor. We also have rental properties here in the UK.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a US citizen, you can file Married Filing Jointly or Separately with your spouse on Form 1040 to report worldwide income.  You surely can use TurboTax to file.

To enter your wages / income as foreign income and foreign income exclusion in TurboTax online program, here are the steps:

1.  After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 

5.   On screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ? make your selection 

6.  Continue to follow the step-by-step interview instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies