Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

My tax return is still pending, should i get worried after 4 days?

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.

Other things that can delay your refund include, but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information
  • Identity fraud
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

Please click Why do some refunds take longer than others? to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is it being transmitted by smoke signals, by chance? It's ridiculous to suggest that it takes 4 days to transmit a few MB file. In previous years, both my federal and state returns were accepted within hours of e-filing. After 4 days, neither has been accepted this year. 

djhatting

Mine is still pending too after several days.... ?????? I’ve always had mine accepted within a few hours of filing. Why would it be taking this long? 

Niness
Returning Member

My taxes have been pending for 4 days now through turbo tax. I filled form 8936 for my electric vehicle and I am seeing no movement. what happens if I file through someone else due to this? I think it pretty ridiculous I havent been accepted or rejected at this poin . I feel like turbo tax is messing up this year 

Mine still pending too and I filed on February 13. Looks like a high volume of us filed last week. 🤔

I filed Feb 13 too, 1 fed and 2 states, all pending. Must be something wrong with TurboTax.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please review this link for further assistance, and it's been less than 21 days since you filed, if you haven't heard an update by the next 15 days, you can then move on to contacting the IRS directly: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

Wait 21 days? ridiculous

Racedawg

I sent mine over on feb 14 @ 830 pm.. My sister was sitting right next to me sent hers at 834pm using a different tax software.. 

Hers was accepted both state and federal within an hour.. 

Both of mine still pending..

Niness
Returning Member

What happens if I file somewhere else? I mean I went through turbo tax but I'm still pending 5 days its ridiculous and I'm over it.  Thinking about filing again through tax act 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You have already e-filed, so at this point you cannot "start over" as the process has already started.  The only way you would be able to file elsewhere is if your return is rejected. For more information on pending status, please see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

If I contact IRS, how can I approve I did efile?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

@pengxiao yes, you have to continue to wait until the IRS accepts your return, and once 21 days or more have passed, you can contact the IRS directly. 

My question is, If I contact IRS, how can I approve I did efile?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS will not have any record of your return until they "Accept" it. 

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet. After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 48 hours or longer before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

Until the IRS starts processing it on their end, you may not find record of it. The website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund or no record found. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated accordingly. Continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund?  tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

You can find additional information in the links below:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies