My tax return is less than what was stated for my ...
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My tax return is less than what was stated for my refund. Who do I contact about this ?

3 Replies
Texas Roger
Level 15

My tax return is less than what was stated for my refund. Who do I contact about this ?

One of the summary screens in TurboTax shows a combined refund total for both state and federal. Make sure you are comparing your refund amount with just the state or federal alone.


If you have your TurboTax fees paid from your federal refund, those fees plus a $40 processing fee will be taken out of your refund before it is sent to you.


If neither of these explanations is the reason for the reduction, the IRS or state has adjusted your refund for some reason. This IRS topic gives some of the reasons for an offset:

If the IRS was the reason, you should receive a letter explaining what they did. 

Level 15

My tax return is less than what was stated for my refund. Who do I contact about this ?

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities,  There is no rule as to which one will come first or how much time there will be between their arrivals.



There can be a number of reasons why your refund was less than the amount you expected. First of all, look carefully at your actual tax returns.  There is sometimes confusion about the amount of refund to expect when users misinterpret the “summary” they saw in TurboTax. The amount of your refund is on your tax return.  Federal refund line 20 on Form 1040  State tax forms are all different so we cannot tell you what line to look at on your state form.  BUT it is important to actually LOOK at your tax return forms yourself and see the amounts of your tax refunds and/or tax due.  A lot of confusion would be avoided by doing that.


TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes, child support, student loan debt, etc. you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund.


It is also possible that your state reduced your refund for debts owed in your state—if the state reduced your state refund you will receive a letter from the state.

 IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107


Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together. Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come first,


Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?


Reduced Refund



 NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

My tax return is less than what was stated for my refund. Who do I contact about this ?

If you has both a federal and state tax refund, they come at different times from separate tax authorities.

If you request to have your TurboTax account fees deducted from the federal tax refund, that refund will be less then what is on the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees -

Or -

To access your current year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account -

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View order details


For a federal tax refund, go to this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's -


Why is my refund different than the amount on the tax return I filed?
All or part of your refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have questions about an offset, contact the agency to which you owe the debt.

We also may have changed your refund amount because we made changes to your tax return. You’ll get a notice explaining the changesWhere’s My Refund? will reflect the reasons for the refund offset when it relates to a change in your tax return.

Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unempl... has more information about refund offsets.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings