turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

txpmahan

My refund status has been "processing" on where's my refund a irs.gov for the past few weeks. Now today it says they cannot provide any information. What is happening?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My refund status has been "processing" on where's my refund a irs.gov for the past few weeks. Now today it says they cannot provide any information. What is happening?

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Have you called the IRS and asked?
txpmahan

Yes but I keep getting stuck with the automated line.  Going to try DoninGA's method of getting to an agent below. Thanks!

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

pinfinger1
Returning Member

I cannot get them on the phone.   it always says lines are backed up call back later.  its been over 30 days since filed with turbo tax.  I have never had this  problem before filing with this company.   can you please give me more help the telling me to call them. I need answer to why I have not got my refund yet?   it says on where is my refund being processed. same thing for 29 days!  please help   

Da57
Level 2

This does work unless they stop answering all together as they have lately

I am in the same situation, this year I filed with OLT instead of TurboTax.  I sent my return 2/12, and for the first few weeks it said it was processing, and that a refund date would be issued when available. Now it says there is no information available, and it does not appear in my IRS Account transcript. I am beyond frustrated, and I have no idea how to fix this. I feel like I need to re-file, but I'm worried that will take even longer or complicate the process.

I FILED EXACTLY SAME DAY AS YOU AND STILL NOTHING. CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION OF THERES. I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET MY 2ND STIMULUS WAS SUPPOSE TO BE GIVING IN THAT TAX REFUND TOO. I CHECKED ON MY 3RD STIMULUS THEY SAID ITS IN THE MAIL GAVE ME A DATE HOW AM I GETTING THAT FIRST. NOTHING MAKES SENSE.

DO NOT REFILE THOUGH. I KNOW NOT TO DO THAT

why have it has been more then 3 weeks processing?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

It is taking a long time because the IRS is way behind in processing returns this year - a whole lot of people are experiencing the same issue. 

If you filed your 2020 taxes and haven't received your refund, your experience is very common -  the IRS is encountering major delays in processing 2020 tax returns, and is almost impossible to reach by phone. 

Why is this happening? Tax season (normally Jan 1 - Apr 15) is the busiest time of the year for the IRS. This year, they have also had to deal with major changes in the tax law, including ones that were passed retroactively in the past two weeks. They are also struggling with the same COVID workplace and workforce issues the rest of the country has encountered. 

According to  the Washington Post (Mar 12, 2021): 

Nearly 7 million tax filers are in limbo and facing substantial delays in getting refunds so far this tax filing season, as the Internal Revenue Service struggles to keep up with the demands of issuing stimulus checks and implementing myriad tax code changes from coronavirus relief packages, including the one President Biden signed this week. 

There are 6.7 million returns that have not yet been processed, more than three times the number in the same period last year, when fewer than 2 million returns faced delayed processing, IRS data shows. 

Everything the IRS has to say about refunds is at Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked QuestionsIf you read this carefully, you will see they are not making any promises. 

The IRS Where’s My Refund? site is still the best first place to go for information. 

@misspixie-982

stuck on processing for 4 weeks what is going on?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the post by @ToddL99 above. We recommend after 21 days to reach out to the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. 

Please refer to this link for information: What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lumi45

not even this telephone trick works at  end  they  still say try  another day i am going on 12 weeks waiting a  simple  plain vanilla  return online thru turbo tax with bank deposit

I tried the DoninGA solution and there was a new step at the end which I had to enter option 4 "for all other questions, enter 4". That sent me to what I think would have been an agent, but then they said due to high call volume about the topic I selected, they are unable to handle the call and told me to call back on the next business day. I'll try to make this call early in the morning tomorrow. I submitted on 5/1 so it has been well over 21 days. Very frustrating that this is just a black box without any way to get status or provide feedback.

Lanceh

I filed my refund February 17th 4months later it is still being processed. I haven’t received any of my stimulus’s and I can’t get ahold of the irs. Everytime I call is says sorry call tomorrow

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies