rjturner97

My parents claimed me as a dependent by mistake and now my return is rejected. They filed an amendment and mailed it, but I can't get my return accepted. Suggestions?

If you printed, signed, dated and mailed the amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, to the IRS then the status of the amended return will be on the IRS website for amended tax returns about 3 weeks after it was mailed - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>
rjturner97

My parents filed & mailed 1040X, but my return is correct, but rejected by Turbo Tax because of the dependent/non-dependent conflict. Should I mail my return too even though I'm not changing anything?

Yes, you will have to mail the tax return.  The IRS will continue to reject the return if you e-file since a tax return already claiming you as a dependent has been accepted by the IRS.
rjturner97

Thank you!

Even if your parents file an amended return to remove you as a dependent, it won't clear your SSN to e-file this season. The IRS just doesn't update their database fast enough.  You need to print and mail your return.  Don't forget to also print and mail your state return, if you have one.

rjturner97

Thank you! Will my return be classified as late when I mail it?

Attach a printout of your rejection notice showing you tried to file on or before April 15.  There is a 5 day grace period.