turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My parents claimed me as a dependent by mistake and now my return is rejected. They filed an amendment and mailed it, but I can't get my return accepted. Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My parents claimed me as a dependent by mistake and now my return is rejected. They filed an amendment and mailed it, but I can't get my return accepted. Suggestions?

If you printed, signed, dated and mailed the amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, to the IRS then the status of the amended return will be on the IRS website for amended tax returns about 3 weeks after it was mailed - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>

My parents filed & mailed 1040X, but my return is correct, but rejected by Turbo Tax because of the dependent/non-dependent conflict. Should I mail my return too even though I'm not changing anything?

Yes, you will have to mail the tax return.  The IRS will continue to reject the return if you e-file since a tax return already claiming you as a dependent has been accepted by the IRS.

Thank you!

Even if your parents file an amended return to remove you as a dependent, it won't clear your SSN to e-file this season. The IRS just doesn't update their database fast enough.  You need to print and mail your return.  Don't forget to also print and mail your state return, if you have one.

Thank you! Will my return be classified as late when I mail it?

Attach a printout of your rejection notice showing you tried to file on or before April 15.  There is a 5 day grace period.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies