Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mucrunr

My daughter accidently claimed herself on her tax return. What can we do so that I can claim her as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My daughter accidently claimed herself on her tax return. What can we do so that I can claim her as a dependent?

If your dependent child did not indicate on his return that he could be claimed on someone else's return, when you try to e-file with him listed on your return as a dependent, your return will be rejected.  Your kid will need to file an amended return that indicates he can be claimed, and you will, unfortunately, need to print and mail your own return instead of e-filing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

She filed through turbo tax and she ammended them as soon as they were accepted. Turbo tax amended her return and she is eligible for 0$ on her return bit they still rejected my taxes

She could not "amend" as soon as her return was accepted.  She has to wait until her return is fully processed in order to amend.  She has to prepare a 1040X that needs to be printed, signed and mailed.  It takes the IRS 3-4 months to process a 1040X.  Meanwhile, you have to print sign and mail your own return.  You cannot e-file this year.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Was your return late?
n1843

My daughter filed and amended  electronically and will mail the 1040X, but we already mailed our return a few weeks ago.  Will ours be rejected?

Mailed returns are not rejected.  Only an e-filed return can be rejected.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies