Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2023 Federal and State returns have been processed. I received a state refund right away early March but my Fed tax payment which was due to come out on 4/1 has not been deducted yet. It's 4/11 and I'm getting concerned. Any thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My 2023 Federal and State returns have been processed. I received a state refund right away early March but my Fed tax payment which was due to come out on 4/1 has not been deducted yet. It's 4/11 and I'm getting concerned. Any thoughts?

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come in first or how long it will be between their arrival in your account.

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS. 

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

To clarify, I set up for automatic deduction of my federal taxes to come out of my checking account on 4/1. It's 4/11 and they have not been deducted yet. I am getting concerned that TT has not connected my payment with the IRS.

@kwelch0424  Check with the IRS

• Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did you double check the printout from Turbotax confirming the W/D date was in fact set to April 4/1? 

I would have expected them to deduct on that date whether or not it was processed. 

da2024

Hi - did you sort out your situation?

I'm very upset right now. I was in a similar situation, noticing that my direct debit bank payment was not processing correctly.

I made the payment on 4/10 through TurboTax (desktop) when I completed my filing. When I noticed a couple days later that the IRS hadn't pulled the funds from my account yet, I waited patiently, as TurboTax says payments can take up to 21 days to process. But when it didn't process today, I knew something didn't feel right.

I called up TurboTax customer service asking about it, and the representative said that I could check my payment status online via the IRS website! Well, gee, I wish I had known about that sooner! TurboTax never mentions that this is possible (or recommended) anywhere after you finish filing, so I had no idea!

Right now, it's the night of the filing/payment deadline, and I found out just moments ago through my own digging that the IRS wasn't able to process my debit payment for some unknown reason. It apparently failed two days after my filing, and was showing as "returned" even though I correctly entered in every single bit of bank information in TurboTax, and the funds were absolutely in the account (it was NOT due to insufficient funds).

It's hard to know whether TurboTax is at fault, whether the IRS experienced some kind of glitch on their end, or whether my bank experienced some kind of temporary issues at the time of debit. All I know is that the IRS received the notification from TurboTax that I WANTED to pay, and they have my record that I filed the return, but they couldn't make the payment happen for whatever reason.

What's even worse is, I had to manually re-initiate the debit payment via the IRS website, and I had no choice but to choose tomorrow as my payment date. So, now the payment is probably going to show as "late" by one day.

I really want to be mad at Intuit/TurboTax, but it feels pointless, because they will just pass the buck and say that they aren't responsible. That may be true for technical reasons as well as legal reasons, but I do feel like they need to improve their line of communication to the filing customer, letting us know that payments CAN fail, and that we need to be checking the IRS website on our own, daily, until we see that the payment has actually been received by the IRS. This is serious stuff, and it needs to be taken just as seriously as every other aspect of the tax filing process. It feels somewhat negligent for Intuit/TurboTax to turn their heads and look the other way on this issue. Hopefully some kind of changes can be made to improve this matter for others in the future.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies