Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought my 2022 taxes had been filed and the $15 paid until I tried to efile my 2023 taxes. I had efiled the 2022 taxes by evidently they didn't go through. Anyway, I am concerned about the penalties on a $15 tax bill. Should I be concerned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I thought my 2022 taxes had been filed and the $15 paid until I tried to efile my 2023 taxes. I had efiled the 2022 taxes by evidently they didn't go through. Anyway, I am concerned about the penalties on a $15 tax bill. Should I be concerned?

Was your 2022 return rejected?   The only way to file it now is by mail.  You will need to print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.  If you owe tax due, you are subject to late filing penalties and interest.  TurboTax will not calculate that amount.   The IRS will bill you after they receive your return and the payment for the amount due as shown on the tax return form.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why didn't 2023 efile?  Did it reject?  Why?  If it was because of the AGI from 2022 missing that doesn't mean you didn't file 2022.  Just that the IRS doesn't have the AGI in their database.  Try entering zero for the AGI.  

For 2022

When you log into your account you should see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  what does it say?

Then when you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepte.d or Rejected your efile.  Check back though your emails if you have them.

In the PDF of your TurboTax return, the last page of the federal return should be an "electronic postmark" that shows your name, Social Security number, the date and time that you e-filed the return, and the date that the IRS accepted it.

I have the 2022 ready to drop in the mail tomorrow on my way to work.   Even when I log onto the IRS website and looked for the 2022 return, it didn't show it being there.  I looked back at my bank statement and the $15 I authorized to be deducted was never deducted either.  I have always used TurboTax and find it odd that I wouldn't have used it last year, but they don't show a return on file for last year even though I have a copy of where a return was created and the payment authorized.  It doesn't look like the usual TurboTax papers either.  I am so puzzled and frustrated at how I couldn't have noticed this.  Are the penalties usually steep for a year of interest on $15?  I saw one place said no more than 25% which would mean less than $5.  Then I saw something about interest compounded daily and up to $50,000. <gulp>   I don't think I am cut out to wear orange.  

The eFile for 2023 was rejected by the IRS because there was no 2022 on file.  I'm not really sure if I should go ahead and mail my 2023 now or file for an extension to wait for the 2022 to get processed.  My taxes are pretty straight forward with standard deductions.

Just efile 2023 again and enter 0 for the 2022 AGI.  That should work.  You don't need to wait to file 2022.  

Waiting for 2022 to be processed will not let you use that AGI to e-file 2023.  Try using "zero" as your AGI to e-file 2023.   If zero does not work and let you e-file, then file 2023 by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies