turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2020 return was accepted today, but it's not letting me amend it yet. Do I have to wait till my state is accepted as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 2020 return was accepted today, but it's not letting me amend it yet. Do I have to wait till my state is accepted as well?

Slow down.   You cannot amend your return until it has been processed by the IRS.  The 1040X is not even available yet.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you have already filled your taxes the first step is to wait and see if it is Accepted or Rejected. 

• If it is Rejected you will be able to correct the rejection error and add your W-2 and stimulus information.
  • If it is Accepted you will have to wait and file an amended tax return:
    • If you're getting a refund wait until the refund comes in.
    • If you owe money wait at least two weeks before filing the amended return.  (This is so that the IRS has time to process the original return.)

To amend a return 

Some quick ground rules:

1. Be sure the original return was filed and accepted.
  2. DO NOT go back into the return or change anything before you start the amendment process.
  3. Gather everything you need before you start.
  4. Complete the entire amendment process before you log out.
  5. Starting with 2020 tax returns you can E-File a 1040-X amended tax return.  All prior years must be printed and mailed.

You can correct a return that you've already filed and had accepted.  Select the year that applies and use this guide to proceed.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

For additional information please refer to  How to Amend

Manage cookies