Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mailing tax return to the IRS Austin,TX address from abroad. Has anyone else experienced this?

I mailed my tax return (registered mail) from overseas  to the address: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX, 73301. However, my USPS tracking info states that my return was delivered to front desk/reception/mail room Austin, TX, 78710.

Has anyone else experienced this? And was your return received by the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
Rikileba8

Mailing tax return to the IRS Austin,TX address from abroad. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have the same problem did u know if everithing whent good?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you have any doubt your return was received by the IRS, it is best to contact them directly to have someone look into this. 

Please click here to follow the instructions to contact the IRS> 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sree1009

Hi, Even I have the same issue with the status. My mailw as received on March12th(more than 4 weeks till now) still not able to track my status.

Did you guys hear back from IRS or able to track status of refund or received refund?

Since IRS is not even accepting calls not sure what to be done. If I have to re-file or what?

Any help is appreciated.

sree1009

Did you receive any updates? or received refund ? Please let me know

sree1009

I have the same problem. Not even able to track my status.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have any doubt or concerns about your return was received by the IRS, it is best to contact them directly to have someone look into this. 

Please click here to follow the instructions to contact the IRS. 

I am having the same problem. Is your problem solved now? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did your USPS tracking info report "Austin, TX, 78710" or "Austin, TX, 78701"?

78701 is the zip code for the IRS office in downtown Austin, Texas, at 1099 Congress Avenue.

I have no inside information, but I have to believe that anything that reaches the main IRS office in Austin will find its way to the correct location, assuming that current conditions allow for it. Note that processing for all paper returns is very slow or at a standstill until conditions improve.

Note that 73301 is a "virtual" zip code that is used only by the IRS - there is no physical area associated with it, so it stands to reason that the actual physical delivery will be to another zip code.

My USPS tracking says the delivered address is "Austin, TX, 78710" not "Austin, TX, 78701". 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

78710 looks like another virtual zip code - this website says that it is in Austin, but with no area or population.

I have to believe that the USPS delivered your return to an IRS office.

Unfortunately, with the COVID-19 situation and paper forms not being processed at the moment, I can't say when your return will be entered and the status updated.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I really appreciate this. 

Wabengam

Yes! Mailed to 3651 S. Interregional Hwy 35, Austin, TX 78741. USPS tracking shows delivered to individual at Austin, TX 78710. No street address given. Has it been delivered to the IRS? Check was in it and no sign of check being deposited by IRS. Is this delay reasonable? USPS says it was delivered May 26.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is a reasonable delay as the IRS had a period of time they were not processing any mail.  The back log at this point is enormuous.

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing anything paper at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

I have the same issue. I mailed the paper file on 3/3/2020. USPS tracking showed "Your item was delivered to the front desk, reception area, or mail room at 11:53 am on March 5, 2020 in AUSTIN, TX 78710.".  and IRS website showed no information.  I don't even know whether the IRS received my file or not. 

If the IRS sends a letter back to me, what address they will use? the address on my SSN or the address on my 1040 paper mail?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies