turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fastedjr

Mailing in taxes canceling e-file

I have already mailed my taxes in but online it saying that they still need to be mailed in and I already know that the IRS got them so how do I change that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

There is no way to change it, at least not to my knowledge.  It does not know that you took your return to the mailbox.  You also cannot cancel an e-file and mail  

To check the status of your federal refund, use the IRS “Where’s My Refund?” tool on the IRS.gov website. You’ll need to provide your filing status, Social Security number and exact refund amount as it appears on your return.

The software program does not know you put your return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.   Your account will always say "ready to mail" or "printed" even if you mailed the return.   Once you mail it, you have to wait to see information on the IRS refund site.  

TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

Mailed returns take a long time to be processed---it may be months before the IRS processes a mailed return.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you are wondering if you should send your return again——the IRS does not want you to file a second time.   Putting two tax returns into the system at the same time can lead to confusion and even more delays.   If you did not use tracking and do not know if the return was received—-you have to make your own judgement call and decide if you want to risk further delay by sending the return again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies