DuaneJoanieK

Line 30 is the stimulus question for my 2020 return which I answered incorrectly. Do I have to wait for the form 1040X is available?

AmyC

The IRS may catch it in the cross checking. If not, you will have to wait until you have received your refund before you can file an amended return.

If the IRS does not catch it now, they will in 3 years and add penalties and interest. Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.
DuaneJoanieK

I will wait to see what the IRS does before I do an amend. Thank you for your help.