turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aaron-day

Its been 45 days since my Fed return was accepted with no change on IRS website, but processing. I cant reach a person at IRS number due to volume. What are my options?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Its been 45 days since my Fed return was accepted with no change on IRS website, but processing. I cant reach a person at IRS number due to volume. What are my options?

You basically have one option....to wait. My return was filed 40 days ago. All the options to get information from the IRS show no return filed or pending.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@aaron-day 

It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update and show the status. The 21 days is just an estimated time frame. The IRS began processing returns on 2/12, you may not find a record of it or the website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated.

Since Turbo Tax will not have the status of your refund, continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight.

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Teryan14
Returning Member

It took the IRS to update the website for me on the 45th day after I had filed and my taxes had been accepted on 2/12/21! According to their website if I don't have my refund by the 45th day they owe me 3% of interest just like they would charge me! I didn't get my refund for another two days (so they owe me $140 in interest) and was charged a $40 bank processing fee that I did not agree to! I am also missing $1200 (an exact amount of a dependents stimulus money, I find this suspicious)  from my refund with no explanation from the IRS. According to the website I was suppose to get a paper stating why 3 days ago and I still don't have it. There is a [phone number removed] phone number and ext 332 and it does not get me to a customer service representative like it says on their website. I am thoroughly disappointed in turbo tax and the IRS in this matter. If ANYONE has ANY ideas please let me know here!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Per the IRS, if an amount was entered on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit but you were not qualified for the credit, the IRS will calculate the correct amount, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. This adjustment caused the significant delay with your refund. 

It seems as if your two dependents were not approved for the first stimulus payment received ($600 x 2). 

Per the IRS, to be a qualifying child of an individual for purposes of the payment, generally the individual must live with the child for more than half of the tax year, the child must not provide over half of his or her own support for the calendar year, and the child must not file a joint return for the tax year. The child also must be the individual’s child, stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, grandchild, niece, or nephew.  In addition, to be claimed as a qualifying child, the child must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other qualifying resident alien. The child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment. Also, a qualifying child must have an SSN valid for employment or an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN). A child who has an ITIN is not a qualifying child for this payment.

In addition, please compare the information you entered on your 2020 return for your child against the child’s Social Security card. If the name and number entered on the return does not match what is on the card, the credit will be denied for that child. If you identify an error in the tax return entry, contact the IRS at the number provided on your notice and have a copy of the Social Security card(s) available. 

Please try contacting the IRS in the morning, as the most calls received are probably mid-day.

2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic G: Correcting issues after the 2020 tax return is filed

@Teryan14

Teryan14
Returning Member

We have received all the stimulus checks with no issues. We are married with one dependent. 

I did claim, on line 30, $1200 because the program asked me to do so because of what we have gotten in the past stimulus checks, that we should not have to pay back.  I only have one dependent I claimed on our taxes, is 4 years old and is with us fulltime as we are his parents. I have yet to receive any information from the IRS on this missing $1200. We filled jointly and make less than $150k combined.  I filed on Feb. 12th before they passed the new bill and I have read all information and this should not be an issue for the child because he qualifies under the guidelines given.  But maybe I did not understand the Recovery Rebate Credit is not the same for a dependent?

I double and triple checked that the SSN of the child was correct on all tax paper work from years prior and this year with his card. We received our 3rd stimulus check before our taxes came through as the refund.  I will wait for this "paperwork" to come in the mail as it is my only option. All phone numbers I have for the IRS do not connect to me a person it is all automated and completely frustrating and wasting my time. Even calling at 7am it does not go to any person. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you received all of the stimulus payments with no issues in the amount that you were qualified for, then there should not have been a Recovery Rebate Credit on Line 30, which is why your return was adjusted.

If you are married and have one eligible dependent, you should have received a total of $3,300 with a breakdown shown below:

• $600 x 3 = $1,800 for EIP1
  • $500 x 3 = $1,500 for EIP2

Is this what you received? The $1,200 difference seems to be the difference of 2 payments for EIP1. 

I have attached a picture below of the recovery rebate screen you may remember when you filled out your return. TurboTax will estimate what you should have received in stimulus payments based on what is on your 2020 tax return. If the amount was different then you would click No (next to the arrow). You would then have to enter the exact amount of stimulus payments you received in the boxed area. 

If your stimulus payments were less than what TurboTax calculated, then the Recovery Rebate Credit would have been calculated on Line 30. 

If your stimulus payments were equal or more than what TurboTax calculated, then it would have no effect on your return. 

You may have seen a different looking screen if you filed early on in the season, but the concept was the same. You would have had to enter exactly what you received in the boxes. If the amounts entered were less than what you actually received, then that triggered the credit on your return and the IRS would eliminate the credit. 

I am sorry for your frustration. I hope this clears up some confusion. Let us know if you need further assistance.

@Teryan14

Teryan14
Returning Member

@LenaH 

We received $2900 for payment 1 ($1200 per married couple and $500 for dependent per the CARES ACT), $1800 for payment 2 $600 per person per the CARES ACT)

No matter how you spin the numbers it does not make sense and there's no explanation for it, except for putting 1200 on line 30... should I file an amended return?

And there were no boxes to fill out when I filed as well. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Teryan14 No, do not amend. The IRS is checking what has been paid against the return.

If you received the full amount of both stimulus payments, then when the IRS cross checks your tax return with payments already made, you will not be sent the extra $1200 for which you do not qualify.

$1200x2+500 = $2900 for EIP1

$600 x3 = $1,800 for EIP2

$1200 on line 30, should not be there and you will not receive since incorrect.

Teryan14
Returning Member

@AmyC 
I did some research last:
According to the IRS website I only recieved $1450 for EIP1and $900 for EIP2, I am unsure of what this state's for my husband.

Why would it tell me to put 1200 on line 30 if I should not have?  Was this a program error because I filed earlier than when they had the program updated from the new bills passing?

I just want to make sure I am not missing out on money and they have the correct information for next year's taxes and there will not be any issues. I have yet to receive any paper work from the IRS about this "correction"

AmyC
Expert Alumni

MFJ with one child, is your income over $150,000? Maybe one spouse with an ITIN? Those would be causing less than full amount.

The $1200 does not sound right and could have been an issue with filing before the program was actually ready. This poor tax program, with all the federal and state changes, has been constantly changing!

The IRS will cross check their information, your tax return, and send any missing money. If the IRS determines that based on your income, SSN, etc, you have received it all, then you will not get any more money.

Patience is needed. The IRS is busy and trying to do a lot of things at once. The IRS has already said they will not process the unemployment law changes made until this summer.

Teryan14
Returning Member

@AmyC 
We married filed jointly under 150K and both of us worked the entire year. 
I'm sure it was a program issue as we filed before the bills passed and hopefully there will not be any issues in our taxes next year. 
As long as I don't need to do anything further I am okay with it. I just don't want problems for the future either.

It's been 80 days and my return still show in processing with no diagram.  It was accepted 01/24/22, this is the longest I've ever had to wait without anything taking place.  There is no live person to contact in order to see what is going on with this. The recording states "no calls at this time try again next business day" has been like this for the last 20 days that I have been trying to call.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Some people have met with success by calling the IRS early in the morning when they first open, or at different times during the day. Continue calling to reach a representative, as they will be able to provide insight regarding your return. For IRS contact information please visit the Help Article below.  @destinyoff8

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? - Intuit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies