LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you received all of the stimulus payments with no issues in the amount that you were qualified for, then there should not have been a Recovery Rebate Credit on Line 30, which is why your return was adjusted.

If you are married and have one eligible dependent, you should have received a total of $3,300 with a breakdown shown below:

• $600 x 3 = $1,800 for EIP1
  • $500 x 3 = $1,500 for EIP2

Is this what you received? The $1,200 difference seems to be the difference of 2 payments for EIP1. 

I have attached a picture below of the recovery rebate screen you may remember when you filled out your return. TurboTax will estimate what you should have received in stimulus payments based on what is on your 2020 tax return. If the amount was different then you would click No (next to the arrow). You would then have to enter the exact amount of stimulus payments you received in the boxed area. 

If your stimulus payments were less than what TurboTax calculated, then the Recovery Rebate Credit would have been calculated on Line 30. 

If your stimulus payments were equal or more than what TurboTax calculated, then it would have no effect on your return. 

You may have seen a different looking screen if you filed early on in the season, but the concept was the same. You would have had to enter exactly what you received in the boxes. If the amounts entered were less than what you actually received, then that triggered the credit on your return and the IRS would eliminate the credit. 

I am sorry for your frustration. I hope this clears up some confusion. Let us know if you need further assistance.

@Teryan14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"