turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use the date the contract was signed (March) as the placed in service date for depreciation or must I wait until October when they occupied?

I bought the property as a vacation property and for rental income. People were interested in looking at property even before we listed it so we signed a lease In March for October even before we listed it. So can I use March or October for placed in service. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Can I use the date the contract was signed (March) as the placed in service date for depreciation or must I wait until October when they occupied?

If you are referring to a rental property, the date placed in service is the date it was available for rent.  If you bought it in March, and had it ready to rent on May 1, then May 1 is your date placed in service.  It doesn't matter that it wasn't rented/occupied until October.  If the property was not available to be rented and occupied until October 1, then that would be the date placed in service.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to a rental property, the date placed in service is the date it was available for rent.  If you bought it in March, and had it ready to rent on May 1, then May 1 is your date placed in service.  It doesn't matter that it wasn't rented/occupied until October.  If the property was not available to be rented and occupied until October 1, then that would be the date placed in service.

i don't have a listing that showed the property was available to rent.  these people just stopped over because they had been looking in the area for a rental.  what evidence will i need to show in was available
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It is unlikely you would ever need anything to substantiate when it was available for rent, so if asked you would just have to provide whatever proof you had (a photo with a for rent sign) and a reasonable explanation and hope it was accepted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies