turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Maryland but work in Virginia, do I need to file Va return? If so How do I print Va form to file since I already paid turbo tax for it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in Maryland but work in Virginia, do I need to file Va return? If so How do I print Va form to file since I already paid turbo tax for it.

It depends.  VA and MD are reciprocal states: you only pay tax where you live, not where you work.   If your VA employer only withheld MD taxes, you are not required to file a return with VA.  You will say no to the question if you worked in another state besides MD, and only prepare the MD return.

However, if your VA employer withheld VA taxes, then you will want to file a VA nonresident return with the option that the withholdings were mistakenly taken from your paycheck (Form 763-S) and that you are a resident of MD.  All of the VA taxes are returned to you, but you will have a tax liability with MD on this income.  You may also file paperwork with your VA employer so they take out MD tax only and not VA tax.  Here is an FAQ with more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

To print your return, see this FAQ as well:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3338601

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
taricagm

Thank you!!!🙂

sarahsmiles
Returning Member

I live in VA as of 6/1/21 but still work in MD. My employer does not withhold VA taxes and I only earn income in MD. What do I need to do?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@sarahsmiles   The VA Department of Taxation on their webpage provides the following with regard to VA residents who work in MD:

"Virginia Residents who:

• Work in Maryland, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia, are exempt from taxation in their respective state if:
  1. They are present in the other state for 183 days or less during the year, and
  2. Do not maintain an abode, such as a house or apartment, in their respective state and
  3. Receive only wage or salary income in the other state.

Thus, if in 2021 you became a VA resident, it would appear that you do not owe any tax to MD for 2021.  However, be mindful of number 1 above regarding the number of days present in MD.  If the number of days should exceed 183 days, then you may likely owe tax to MD, as a non-resident.  

You mentioned that your employer is not withholding VA taxes, but we assume your employer is withholding MA taxes.  In that case, and assuming none of your MD source income is subject to MD tax, then when you prepare your state returns, you will want to begin with your MD return  (your non-resident state).  Assuming your income is not subject to MD tax, you will be eligible to receive, as a refund, all of the MD withholding.  After completing your MD return, you can then begin to prepare your VA return, which we assume is now your resident state.

Your question raises another issue, and that is, where were you living before you moved to VA in June 2021?  If you were a resident of another state, then you may owe income tax to that state, in addition to whatever tax you may owe to MD given that MD is the state where you performed services for which you were paid.  You can follow-up with additional questions regarding your residency and tax liabilities, but as a reminder, do not include any personal identifiable information in any follow-up posts. 

For now, if you want your MD employer to stop withholding MD tax because you have determined that you do not owe any tax to MD, you need to submit exemption Form MW 507 to your employer.  Additionally, below is a link to the VA tax website that addresses tax reciprocity which you might find helpful.  

Virginia Tax Reciprocity

sarahsmiles
Returning Member

Thank you! Yes, I was aware of the reciprocity between the MD and VA but I am still unsure if it applies to me because of number 1. I think I definitely am present in MD more than 183 days. Urg, this is all just so confusing to me.

I was living in MD before I moved to VA. My employer stopped taking out state taxes as of June 2021, when I moved to VA and updated my address with HR.

I have already prepared my MD return and it looks like I am getting a refund. I only receive income from MD, do I still need to fill out a VA return?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@SarahSmile

As @GeorgeM777 stated, you will need to file a VA return because it became your resident state  However, to ensure that your taxes paid to Maryland are properly credited on your VA return, please complete the Maryland form first then complete your VA.

You are a VA resident and required to file a Part Year resident return for 2021. 

Since you lived in Maryland for part of the year you are required to complete the Maryland Part Year tax return.  If you answer the interview questions accurately, TurboTax will generate the proper forms for filing.

Pretend

I live in MD and work in Virginia. My W2 shows that my employer took MD and VA taxes for the same wages. Do I check yes to get credit for being taxed in a reciprocity state of VA? And then do I also file VA 763-S and attach a copy to my MD return? Or do I select no, pay MD taxes due and get the refund from VA by submitting the 763-S?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Select Yes. Maryland and Virginia has reciprocity so the process is to file VA 763-S to claim a refund for tax mistakenly withheld by your employer.

You should also give you employer a VA-4 to stop Virginia withholding.

Virginia says: "If your employer withholds Virginia income tax and you find out that you are exempt, correct your withholding information with your employer for the future, and file Form 763-S to claim a refund."

Reciprocity

I have a tax lien.  I called VA tax and asked why.  The person kept telling me I have to pay taxes to both states.  But I have not lived in VA I only work there.  I did file a form 763 and because of that I have to pay taxes to both states. 

@Yahinra Please clarify your situation.  In which state do you live?

TomD8
Level 15

@Yahinra --

In what state do you live?  Is your income reported to you on a W2, or a 1099?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

i live i’m Maryland and work in Virginia.  I do have rental properties in Virginia.

My employer wrongly reported deductions to VA.  my tax accountant file form 763. 

Is there a reason you aren't asking your tax accountant about this?

TomD8
Level 15

@Yahinra --

Your rental income from properties in Virginia is taxable by Virginia (as well as by your home state of MD), and is properly reported on VA Form 763.

Because of tax reciprocity, your W2 work income from VA is taxable only by your home state of MD.  Reciprocity does not apply to rental income.

Therefore your accountant  should have filed both VA Form 763 and MD Form 502.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies