turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smw5292

Was sent W2c. Understand how to amend the fed, however is there anything that would need to be amended on the PA state return in regards to a correction to code W box 12?

I was sent a W-2c from my former employer to correct the amount reported in box 12 (code W – Employer contributions to your HSA) that was listed on the original W-2. I understand how to amend the federal return, however is there anything that would need to be amended on the PA state return in regards to a correction to code W box 12? My 2018 returns have already been accepted by the IRS and PA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Was sent W2c. Understand how to amend the fed, however is there anything that would need to be amended on the PA state return in regards to a correction to code W box 12?

It depends.

If your employer removed the correct amount of HSA contributions from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 the first time around, then the answer would be "no" about amending the PA return (i.e. if the only change was the code W amount).

However, if your employer entered the wrong code W amount the first time around on the W-2, then the employer is likely to have removed the wrong amount from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 the first time around. If you see that the Wages amount in box 1 has changed on the W-2C, then you will probably need to amend your PA return as well, since it is likely that the amount of tax in PA will change.

Note, you can't tell how much your employer removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 by looking at your W-2; you have to ask your employer what they did.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends.

If your employer removed the correct amount of HSA contributions from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 the first time around, then the answer would be "no" about amending the PA return (i.e. if the only change was the code W amount).

However, if your employer entered the wrong code W amount the first time around on the W-2, then the employer is likely to have removed the wrong amount from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 the first time around. If you see that the Wages amount in box 1 has changed on the W-2C, then you will probably need to amend your PA return as well, since it is likely that the amount of tax in PA will change.

Note, you can't tell how much your employer removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 by looking at your W-2; you have to ask your employer what they did.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies