Solved: Is there any way I can find out if my taxes have been received when I have filed by mail?

wheatleysharon12-gmail-com

Is there any way I can find out if my taxes have been received when I have filed by mail?

When we first filed our Federal and State Forms, they were rejected because of an incorrect prior year AGI amount, so I

called Turbo Tax and they told me I could just mail the returns, and the IRS told me the same thing, so I did. All I want to know is,

how do I find out if our returns were received ?

WillK

Yes, you can check the status of your federal refund here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds.  You should wait about 4 weeks after you mailed the return till you start to check the status of it.

You can google your states department of revenue website and click on wheres my refund to check there. 

WillK

pettyh10

I understand if you have a refund coming.  However, if you do not have a refund and you want to know if your taxes were received, and the number to contact the IRS is not working. How can you know if the IRS has received your taxes?  This was the first time I didn't send them with a signature required.  I had to send them from Canada as the border was closed to pop over to mail.

SusanY1

Currently, if you did not send with tracking there is not anyway to know if the IRS has received your tax return.

Once normal processing resumes you would be able to determine that your return has been processed by looking at your transcript, found here: IRS Transcripts

Returns received during the current shutdown are being warehoused and will be processed in the order received.  You can expect significant delays, and there is currently no information regarding when normal operations might resume. 

@pettyh 10