Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there any way I can find out if my taxes have been received when I have filed by mail?

When we first filed our Federal and State Forms, they were rejected because of an incorrect prior year AGI amount, so I

called Turbo Tax and they told me I could just mail the returns, and the IRS told me the same thing, so I did. All I want to know is,

how do I find out if our returns were received ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Is there any way I can find out if my taxes have been received when I have filed by mail?

Yes, you can check the status of your federal refund here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds.  You should wait about 4 weeks after you mailed the return till you start to check the status of it.

You can google your states department of revenue website and click on wheres my refund to check there. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can check the status of your federal refund here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds.  You should wait about 4 weeks after you mailed the return till you start to check the status of it.

You can google your states department of revenue website and click on wheres my refund to check there. 

pettyh10
Returning Member

I understand if you have a refund coming.  However, if you do not have a refund and you want to know if your taxes were received, and the number to contact the IRS is not working. How can you know if the IRS has received your taxes?  This was the first time I didn't send them with a signature required.  I had to send them from Canada as the border was closed to pop over to mail.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Currently, if you did not send with tracking there is not anyway to know if the IRS has received your tax return.

Once normal processing resumes you would be able to determine that your return has been processed by looking at your transcript, found here: IRS Transcripts

Returns received during the current shutdown are being warehoused and will be processed in the order received.  You can expect significant delays, and there is currently no information regarding when normal operations might resume. 

@pettyh 10

Chris95Susan
Returning Member

How do I check if the IRS has received my mailed return? 

@Chris95Susan wrote:

How do I check if the IRS has received my mailed return? 

If you referring to a mailed 2021 federal tax return and you have a tax refund then you can check the status of the refund about 4 weeks after mailing the return on this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

For all other tax years you will have to contact the IRS for the status of the tax return -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies