turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skinnygin

Is it normal for a amended return 1040x to be sent to examination department before they release funds ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Is it normal for a amended return 1040x to be sent to examination department before they release funds ?

Nothing about the IRS is normal ... when a paper return is mailed in it is manually entered into the computer and is processed as they see fit.  This time it is being send to a human to review.  It may be nothing so until you get a letter from the IRS you will not know what is happening.  If you do get a notice reply as directed asap. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

An amended return is more likely to be flagged for manual review than an original return.
skinnygin

Thx !!!
ab143jm

Hi skinnygin! Could you please tell me what came of this and why they sent it to exams dept?
Thanks bunches!
ab143jm

Hi skinnygin! Could you please tell me what came of this and why they sent it to exams dept?
Thanks bunches!

If your  Part III explanation is  obtuse, then IRS will have to figure it out, or ask you for more clarification. Often, filers of an amended return fail to  include all the necessary affected forms and schedules.
Ppre87

I know this was last year but I will like to know how was the process? My refund went to the examination department two weeks ago and I still haven’t received a letter from the irs

How long after examination will I hear from or receive a letter or my refund

How long did it take for you to receive your refund?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update and show the status. The 21 days is just an estimated time frame. The IRS began processing returns on 2/12, you may not find a record of it or the website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund. As your return moves through the system, its status will be updated.

Since Turbo Tax will not have the status of your refund, continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. 

What does pending mean? 
Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. 
Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions
@AHammondsLarson

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but I was speaking specifically about the "examination" dept like where a 1040x may go for further review. I was told over the phone anywhere from 3-12 months. I was just wondering if it took the individual this long or longer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies