BTRR

IRS says TurboTax miscalculated Form 8962. I thought TT guaranteed the calculations. ???

TurboTax H&B 2021 calculated my Form 8962 Line 5 to be 133%.  However, the IRS sent me a notice that it should be 347%.  When I calculate it, I get 347%.  Unless I'm missing something, it appears that TT miscalculated Line 5.  I thought that TT guaranteed its calculations to be 100% accurate.  ???

OK ... you have an IRS data input operator error not a TT problem.   Write back and tell them to read their own rules for the 8962 for the 2021 tax year when you have unemployment on the return. 

Next time efile when at all possible to avoid these kind of errors.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf

1.jpg

Did you have unemployment on the return ?   Did you mail in the return or efile it ? 

BTRR

Yes, I had unemployment income.  Yes, it was included on my return.

I snail-mailed my return.

1.jpg

BTRR

OK.  Will do.  Thanks for replying so quickly... and with the correct answer to solve my problem.  Much appreciated!

Yes ... look at your 8962 ... the nit wit at the IRS probably missed this little itty bitty box that is only on the 2021 form.  Doing this means the IRS computer kicked out the return as incorrect and the operator did not catch their mistake.  Send a copy of the 8962 along with your response.

If there is a number on the notice you can call then maybe you can get this fixed with just a phone call after a long hold time. 

1.jpg