joe56ny

IRS Says I didn't pay estimated taxes but I did

6 weeks after filing with Turbo Tax, I received a letter from the IRS saying I owe nearly $10K nine days from now.  Apparently they did not locate my estimated tax payments, which I made on time each quarter in 2019.  I paid them using the EFTPS site, using my business EIN.  How could they miss this?

Ok  ... so just respond to the notice with proof of payment ... the EFPTS receipts and the bank account statements to back them up  AND a possible explanation of what went wrong.  

Now your issue may be the fact you used a business account to pay personal estimated taxes ... so did the correct account get credited ?   They may need to move the payments to the correct account.  

joe56ny

Thanks for your response.  I did use my EIN to pay the estimated taxes and I don't think Turbo Tax ever asked for my EIN, so when I filed, I'm guessing there was no linkage from my SSN to EIN.  Seems impossible to reach anyone at IRS by phone especially under current COVID-19 conditions, so I will try by sending a letter with documentation as you suggested.