Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

IRS payment plans question



My husband and I file jointly, and we currently have a payment plan/Direct debit agreement for taxes owed in 2019. We are in the process and doing 2020 taxes and will owe again.

My question is: Do we need to fill out form 9465 and submit to the IRS to revise/update the current payment plan or can we simply update the amount we currently pay through the IRS website OPA to include both tax years?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

IRS payment plans question

You will have to fill out a Form 9465 again, but I will warn you.  Part of your original installment plan agreement was that you would keep your tax payments up to date.


If there is any way to pay off the 2020 taxes I would suggest that you do that.


If you cannot pay them off I suggest you contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or contact a local IRS office at Find a local IRS office  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

IRS payment plans question

Thanks John,


We have been paying on schedule each month and have never missed a payment, and the original installment agreement said 72 months to my knowledge. I have looked at form 9465 and there are fields to include a previous years taxes owed and the current/new year taxes owed in order to create a new total amount owed. I did some searching online and have gotten mixed answers about whether we can just update the online agreement through the IRS website and NOT fill out 9465 again, or that we NEED to fill out the form again.


Thanks for your help.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings