Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS letter regarding excess SST/RRTA

Hi - I received a letter from the IRS stating that my "Forms W-2 are insufficient to support the amount you claimed for excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld on your Form 1040". The problem is, I have no idea how this value was entered into Turbo Tax or where it came from? I have no memory or record of doing so. Is this auto-calculated, or is it a field entered through the guided forms during tax preparation? I'd like to understand the source of the number so I can determine my best course of action. Any help is appreciated!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies

Are you married and you each have W2s?  You probably entered a W2 under the wrong souse so it looked like 1 person went over the max.  You owe it back.

If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2018 W2s  for Social Security is more than $7,960.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 Schedule 5 line 72 for it.  Then Schedule 5 goes to 1040 line 17.

That hit the nail on the head. We have 7 W-2's, one of which was filed under the incorrect spouse. Thanks for your quick reply!

How to correct this issue electronically?

@roddelarosa did you already file?  If not then delete the W2s and re enter them paying attention to which spouse.  If you already filed and the IRS adjusted your return you don't need to do anything.  

THEN next year if you transfer over, you should delete ALL the W2s and re-enter them from scratch making sure to assign them to the right spouse.
tzqp2n

Thanks and I have received a letter from the IRS asking me the copies of the W2 that I am going to send. Atleast I have some basic understanding now after reading these postings. I have worked for three employers and so 3 W2s.

Glad that solved it for you.  

Smoke400
Returning Member

How do I fix this problem with Internal revenue 

Hi ! So i got had the same thing happen this year. It took the IRS over 2 months after I submitted my 2020 1040 to send that letter to me. And it was precisely the reason you stated above...not sure how but both W-2s were filed under my wife's name which makes it look like our combined income was all hers...I electronically downloaded my W-2 from ADP services..My question is does this mean we will be getting less or end up owing money now?  My refund was suppose to be about 4500.  I saw on Schedule 3 the reported excess SS and RRTA amount was 1817.  Thank you in advance @VolvoGirl @saweathers 

Well you won't get the 1817 but you should get the rest.

THEN for next year 2021 if you transfer over from 2020 you should delete ALL the W2s and re-enter them from scratch making sure to assign them to the right spouse.

Than you so much. Should I bother sending them copies of the w-2s they asked for then?  Letter states that if i dont respond in 20days they will deduct that amount and send the new amount.

I got the same letter today . Has anyone had luck getting someone from the irs on the phone ? So do I just fax them mine and my wife’s w-2s ? My tax lady did my taxes. Is it something she input wrong ? So weird thanks for any info. 

What did you end up doing ? 

Even if you send them the W2s it won't change anything.  They got entered under the same spouse.  The max ss is per person.  Since they are for different people then you didn't go over the max.  You don't get the excess ss credit back.  

Did your tax lady use Turbo Tax?  That would be a violation of the license.  Or did she use a professional program?  Yes she must have entered the W2s under the same person so it looked like that person went over the max.  Sorry nothing you can do about it now.  Just check it doesn't happen again next year.  Look out for it before you file.

So basically just send them my W-2s and my wife’s W-2s?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies