Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NeedingHelp2022
Returning Member

IRS Changing Refund - Letter #6475

Hello. I'm looking for some help or advice.

When filing taxes - for federal - it asks about the stimulus payment. 

If the amount they had ($2800) matched what I had ($1400) on the letter #6475. 

So I answered that it did not match and put in the amount shown on the letter #6475. Meaning I would get a refund of $1400.

After waiting a while, I checked the IRS.gov website to check the refund and it states they changed my return amount from $1400 to $0.

I made sure that all information on my tax return was correct.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue for others? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you file a joint return in 2020 or 2019?   If you did then both you and your spouse would have gotten a letter 6475 showing you each got the $1400 stimulus payment ... even if you did not get the letter you had to enter the amount you & the spouse did get from your records.   So if you got the 2800  and said you only got 1400 then you did not complete that section correctly and the IRS caught the mistake and adjusted the return automatically.  

Now if  you did not receive $1,400 for the third stimulus payment, the IRS may think that you were already issued the third stimulus payment.

At your IRS online account, you can find whether a payment was issued to you that you did not receive.  You can also find this information on your tax transcript.

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

Once you resolve this issue you can amend for the missing credit (if it was truly missed).

As of April 7, the IRS had issued 9.4 million math error notices — and 8.3 million of these notices were related to the recovery rebate and the child tax credit.  These cannot all be software errors.

Where's My Refund? IRS has some answers but others left clueless (freep.com)

NeedingHelp2022
Returning Member

When logging in to the IRS website. It says that for the 3rd stimulus payment I received $1400. My bank account for the date that the payment was deposited says $1400. But Turbo Tax says I was to have received $2800. 

You get 1400 per person listed on the return ... so are you married or do you have a dependent on the return that you did not have last year ?   If you only got 1400 in advance then you get the other 1400 on the return for the spouse or dependent.  

If you are married also check your spouse's IRS account.  It's probably showing there.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies