turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JulieCol
Returning Member

Installment Agreement

I just discovered today that my ex husband set up an installment agreement to pay the taxes he was ordered to pay in our divorce decree.  This is all news to me, and I'm only learning about this as he has defaulted on the agreement and I have been sent a certified letter that I have 30 days to pay the debt.  Shouldn't I have been required to sign this installment agreement?  How do i get a copy of it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Installment Agreement

First contact your divorce attorney since he is in violation of the decree.  Then if you can pay the balance due now to stop the penalties and interest from accruing do so  since you are also liable for the debt until it is paid.  Then sue his backside for the bill you paid and any refunds that were grabbed to pay the debt he was to pay according to the court document.   

Sadly the IRS will not get in the middle of this argument and what he did or did not do on a payment plan will not be discussed/shared with you ... the IRS is going to grab anything they can from either of you until the debt is paid and there is nothing they will do about it.  

JulieCol
Returning Member

Installment Agreement

Thanks.  Confirmed my suspicions.  I am suing him for Contempt, but will add this to the mix.  Letting my attorney handle this latest debacle.  What a mess.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies