Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Independent but filed as a dependent

Hello, with the stimulus being given to some, I thought I would be getting it due to no one claiming me as a dependent. Upon more inspection I realized I checked the box saying I was claimed as a dependent and the other box that I can be claimed as a dependent because I am 18 and go to college. If I amend my tax return will I still get the stimulus? Also if I can be claimed as a dependent but was not, will i still be able to get the stimulus. @stimulus 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS is making stimulus payments based on the information on your return and not necessarily matching it up with other filings to confirm. Per the IRS, you are not eligible if:

You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.

It does not state that you are claimed, but rather that you are can be claimed on someone else's return.

Economic Impact Payments

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So even if I amend it, it does not make me eligible to get it although I am not claimed as a dependent? 

Also, does that mean i need to say that i cannot be claimed when i do amend it? 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If you are not claimed as a dependent and you amend your return to indicate that you cannot be claimed as a dependent and you meet the income qualifications (less than $75,000) then you will be eligible for the stimulus payment.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies