Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect bank account number for automatic withdrawal (not refund)

I transposed two digits in the bank account number that was to be used to PAY taxes due on a form 1041 (trust). The routing number was correct. How do I communicate the correct number to the IRS? The return was efiled by Turbotax and accepted by the IRS on March 19. (Same erroneous account number was used for the California form 541.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@wdhanig   sadly this happens often and why you are asked multiple times to enter it. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this now.

Here are some options, all inclusive of refunds and owed:

If you haven't e-filed your return yet (or your return is in Rejected status), you can revisit the File section in TurboTax to either correct your account information or choose a different tax payment method.

For a return in Pending status, you'll need to wait for its status to change to Rejected or Accepted.

FOR Amounts DUE:

Once your e-filed return has been accepted, it's too late to update your bank account or change your payment method in TurboTax. Instead, call the IRS e-file Payment Services right away at 1-888-353-4537 (They're open 24/7).

You may be penalized if your tax payment isn't received by the filing deadline, so don't delay.

• As you owe: you can still make payments online or through checks by going to EFTPS.gov and make the payment or IRS2Go app  so your payment will be on time.  

For problems with state tax payments, contact your state tax agency.

FOR REFUNDS:

• If you haven't filed yet, you can still change your bank account info for direct deposit.
  • If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will mail you a refund check.
  • If you entered an account number that belongs to you, but you intended to enter a different account, check Where's My Refund? to see if the return has been posted to the IRS. If it hasn't been posted yet, you can contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040 and ask to stop the direct deposit and mail you a check.
  • If you entered a valid (but incorrect) account number that doesn't belong to you, there's usually nothing to worry about. Most banks won't deposit tax refunds into accounts where the names don't match. You can call the IRS to stop the direct deposit if your return hasn't been posted to their system yet. For security reasons, the IRS can't reroute your refund to a different account, so you’ll get your refund via a paper check.  (SADLY at this time of year wait on hold with IRS may be enormous, have patience).
  • If your return is rejected, you can update your account info along with the issue that caused the rejection. Open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before resubmitting your return.

We have instructions to help you find your direct deposit bank account information.

Was this helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Per IRS phone calls, EFTPS is the best way to pay the tax due when an incorrect account number was entered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies