To fix your rejected return, sign in to TurboTax and select Fix it now or Revisit, and we'll guide you through fixing and refiling your return.
You can also troubleshoot by finding your rejection code. It's in the email you received, or you can view it in TurboTax after selecting Fix my return. Here's an example:
Check this list or search for your reject code in TurboTax for solutions specific to your situation.
Here are a few common IRS reject codes
- F1040-164-01: Must file Form 8862 to claim Earned Income Credit
- FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
- IND-031-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
- IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
- IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing
- IND-507: A dependent on your return has already been claimed on another return
- IND-516-02: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year
- IND-517-01: A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' isn't checked
- IND-524: The date of birth doesn't match IRS records
- R0000-500-01: The name or Social Security number for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
- R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
What if my code isn't on the list?
If you don’t see your code on the list, you can find it in TurboTax.
- Sign in to TurboTax
- Select Fix my return to see your rejection code and explanation
- Select Fix it now and follow the instructions to update the info causing the reject
- If you need more help, search for the code in TurboTax to follow along with a help article
- Once you've fixed the error, select File in the left menu and follow the instructions to either e-file or file by mail
If your return continues to be rejected when attempting to e-file, you can print your return and file by mail.