turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlm3969

I claimed my mother on my taxes and found out my sister claimed her as well. Can I fix this on my taxes and just let her claim our mother?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyW

I claimed my mother on my taxes and found out my sister claimed her as well. Can I fix this on my taxes and just let her claim our mother?

If you want to remove a dependent, follow the steps below:

To Remove a dependent

• Sign into TurboTax, click Take me to my return.
  • Choose the Personal tab.
  • Click Continue.
  • On the Personal Info Summary screen, click the Edit button for Dependents.
  • The next screen lists your dependents. Click the Delete button for the dependent that you want to remove.
  • Choose Yes to confirm the deletion.

If you have already filed your tax return, then you will need to file an amended tax return to remove the dependent. 

First, you will want to wait until your tax return is accepted or rejected. If it is rejected, then you can go in and fix the mistake and remove the dependent.  If accepted, then you will want to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued. Amended returns must be filed by mail. 

To amend a 2017 return, follow the steps in the article below (The 2017 amended tax return instructions will be available sometime in late January/Early February):

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your sister's return is accepted first, yours will be rejected and you can just make a correction and re-send your own return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyW

If you want to remove a dependent, follow the steps below:

To Remove a dependent

• Sign into TurboTax, click Take me to my return.
  • Choose the Personal tab.
  • Click Continue.
  • On the Personal Info Summary screen, click the Edit button for Dependents.
  • The next screen lists your dependents. Click the Delete button for the dependent that you want to remove.
  • Choose Yes to confirm the deletion.

If you have already filed your tax return, then you will need to file an amended tax return to remove the dependent. 

First, you will want to wait until your tax return is accepted or rejected. If it is rejected, then you can go in and fix the mistake and remove the dependent.  If accepted, then you will want to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued. Amended returns must be filed by mail. 

To amend a 2017 return, follow the steps in the article below (The 2017 amended tax return instructions will be available sometime in late January/Early February):

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies