turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought I paid my taxes when I filed both state and federal through turbotax but it still says I owe money and nothing has come out of my bank account. How do I check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CapB

I thought I paid my taxes when I filed both state and federal through turbotax but it still says I owe money and nothing has come out of my bank account. How do I check?

If you set-up a payment for your income tax payment using TurboTax and you did not specify a payment date for the withdrawal, TurboTax's default payment date will be used (the last day of tax season = April 18th this year).

If your payment date has passed, but your tax payment has not been withdrawn yet, payment will not usually be not initiated until the return has been processed.  Most states don't begin processing state returns until after the federal return has completed processing (your payment is still considered timely, as long as submitted before April 18).

You can also call IRS e-file Payment Services anytime at 1-888-353-4537 to verify your payment.

Contact your state Department of Revenue:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

OR

To check the IRS or state payment date selected in TurboTax:

1.     Sign In to TurboTax

2.     Select "Taxes"

3.     Click "My Tax Timeline"

4.     Choose "Some things You can Do"

5.     Select "Download all forms and worksheets"

6.     Review Part V of the Federal Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

7.     Review State Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

** If the election checkboxes are marked "NO" and OR your banking information is not displayed on the Information Worksheet, then the direct debit was not successful. To setup payments for federal and state taxes, use the links in this answer.

If you have not set-up your payment through TurboTax, visit  www.irs.gov/Payments  and choose from the payment options available.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CapB

If you set-up a payment for your income tax payment using TurboTax and you did not specify a payment date for the withdrawal, TurboTax's default payment date will be used (the last day of tax season = April 18th this year).

If your payment date has passed, but your tax payment has not been withdrawn yet, payment will not usually be not initiated until the return has been processed.  Most states don't begin processing state returns until after the federal return has completed processing (your payment is still considered timely, as long as submitted before April 18).

You can also call IRS e-file Payment Services anytime at 1-888-353-4537 to verify your payment.

Contact your state Department of Revenue:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

OR

To check the IRS or state payment date selected in TurboTax:

1.     Sign In to TurboTax

2.     Select "Taxes"

3.     Click "My Tax Timeline"

4.     Choose "Some things You can Do"

5.     Select "Download all forms and worksheets"

6.     Review Part V of the Federal Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

7.     Review State Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

** If the election checkboxes are marked "NO" and OR your banking information is not displayed on the Information Worksheet, then the direct debit was not successful. To setup payments for federal and state taxes, use the links in this answer.

If you have not set-up your payment through TurboTax, visit  www.irs.gov/Payments  and choose from the payment options available.

Manage cookies