turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change the debit card direct deposit of my tax refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Michelena

If you have not already filed and submitted your tax return and wish to change your method of payment, follow the steps below:

1. Sign into your account, click take me to my return
  2. Click the File heading
  3. Follow the prompts for Step 1.When you get to Step 2, this is where you can change how you want to receive your refund. Follow the prompts.
If you have already filed and submitted your tax return you are unable to edit the information once the return has been accepted. If your return has been filed and submitted and rejected, then you are able to change the information, just follow the steps above.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Michelena

If you have not already filed and submitted your tax return and wish to change your method of payment, follow the steps below:

1. Sign into your account, click take me to my return
  2. Click the File heading
  3. Follow the prompts for Step 1.When you get to Step 2, this is where you can change how you want to receive your refund. Follow the prompts.
If you have already filed and submitted your tax return you are unable to edit the information once the return has been accepted. If your return has been filed and submitted and rejected, then you are able to change the information, just follow the steps above.
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

It depends. If you've already filed and your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit. If you have not filed, please click the link below for instructions on how to update your direct deposit information. 

How do I change my transferred direct deposit info ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wanted to know if I can change my debit card info 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you have already filed your tax return, you cannot make any changes within TurboTax as your return has already been submitted to the taxing agencies.

If you have not filed your tax return, then yes, you can make the changes within TurboTax.

When you proceed through the File section of the program, you will be prompted for how you want to pay your taxes.  You will be able to enter your updated information in this section.

Methods to pay your federal taxes

@teddybear3367

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I want to change my routing number and my account number for my bank

@Morice8379

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies