turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've just filed a 1040X to amend my return after getting an additional w2. Will the initial refund still be direct deposited, or be withheld until the 1040x is processed?

My initial refund after e-filing was $699, and my additional refund (via the 1040X) after entering the new w2 is $648. Will the $699 still be direct deposited by the date given through "track my return," or will it be withheld until the 1040x is also processed, and the $699+$648 total mailed as a check?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've just filed a 1040X to amend my return after getting an additional w2. Will the initial refund still be direct deposited, or be withheld until the 1040x is processed?

If you have already filed your return  you MUST WAIT until the IRS accepts your return.  And, if you are due a refund it is best to wait until you have actually received your refund.  Then, and only then you can prepare an amended return with the additional W-2s (forms) added.  The amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED --it CANNOT be e-filed.  An amended return generally can take 3-4 months for the IRS to process it --and the processing of amended returns does not start until later in the year.

If your return is rejected, you can add the additional W-2s (forms) at the same time as you make the corrections required by the IRS and re-submit your e-file.

Above all, DO NOT DO ANYTHING until your return is accepted or rejected.

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you have already filed your return  you MUST WAIT until the IRS accepts your return.  And, if you are due a refund it is best to wait until you have actually received your refund.  Then, and only then you can prepare an amended return with the additional W-2s (forms) added.  The amended return MUST be PRINTED and MAILED --it CANNOT be e-filed.  An amended return generally can take 3-4 months for the IRS to process it --and the processing of amended returns does not start until later in the year.

If your return is rejected, you can add the additional W-2s (forms) at the same time as you make the corrections required by the IRS and re-submit your e-file.

Above all, DO NOT DO ANYTHING until your return is accepted or rejected.

When mailing a printed return it is always a good idea to go to the Post Office and mail it 'Certified' with 'Return Receipt'.  That way you will have proof that they received it and when it was received.

Thank you!
My initial return was JUST accepted and scheduled to be direct deposited by Feb 23. I have printed the 1040x amended return, and will mail it once the initial refund hits my account just to be safe. If I'm correct, I can just mail the completed 1040x I'd saved and printed from Turbo Tax, attach my additional w2, and send it certified so I know once it's been received. I'm assuming there's no way to track that refund except by calling later in the season once they start on amended returns. Hopefully since mine is just a simple addition of a w2 it will be processed relatively timely in the estimated 10-20 weeks.
Thank you again!!!
Brea
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies