turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yogrs

Can I file form 1042-S (income code 16) without amending my federal and state tax returns that have already been accepted(filed through Turbotax)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Can I file form 1042-S (income code 16) without amending my federal and state tax returns that have already been accepted(filed through Turbotax)?

If you have already filed, you might be able to add to file the form 1042S if your return is being rejected.  Otherwise, you will have to amend, unfortunately.

You have two options: 

If your return got rejected for any reasons, you can return to the program/account to edit the info along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

To amend, click here: 

Amend 2019

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you have already filed, you might be able to add to file the form 1042S if your return is being rejected.  Otherwise, you will have to amend, unfortunately.

You have two options: 

If your return got rejected for any reasons, you can return to the program/account to edit the info along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

To amend, click here: 

Amend 2019

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies