turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdmpwrd

If my previous years tax returns were applied to past tax debt, does it count as income on this years taxed or not. complete refund went to local and federal gov

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my previous years tax returns were applied to past tax debt, does it count as income on this years taxed or not. complete refund went to local and federal gov

If you got a state refund that went to debts yes it still counts as income on the federal return.  You still got it, doesn't matter what it went to.  If was still for your benefit.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you got a state refund that went to debts yes it still counts as income on the federal return.  You still got it, doesn't matter what it went to.  If was still for your benefit.

Federal income taxes owed and paid for prior tax years are not not reported on a federal tax return.

State or local taxes owed and paid for prior tax years are deductible on a federal tax return if you itemize deductions.  Only the taxes paid not any penalties and interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies