Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

graced

If the federal refund shows a different amount from what turbo tax is telling me.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If the federal refund shows a different amount from what turbo tax is telling me.

There are a few reasons your refund on TurboTax is different than what the IRS reflects:

1. Your refund may be different if you used the Refund Processing Service to pay your TurboTax Online fees. TurboTax fees plus the additional processing fee is deducted from your Federal Tax refund.
  2. It could be due to a refund offset.
  3. A positive or negative change in your refund can also be due to the IRS making a change to your tax return. 

You will receive a letter from the IRS explaining the reason for the difference. Please see this for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288510

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

There are a few reasons your refund on TurboTax is different than what the IRS reflects:

1. Your refund may be different if you used the Refund Processing Service to pay your TurboTax Online fees. TurboTax fees plus the additional processing fee is deducted from your Federal Tax refund.
  2. It could be due to a refund offset.
  3. A positive or negative change in your refund can also be due to the IRS making a change to your tax return. 

You will receive a letter from the IRS explaining the reason for the difference. Please see this for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288510

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why does my federal refund amount show that my state refund is being taken out but I opted out of that option and my paperwork that I printed out shows that I opted out of it? I’ve called multiple times and no one can answer so pretty much the irs is releasing the full amount to you but your taking my state taxes I have to pay this year out and an additional 120? I called the department of revenue and was told if my papaerwork don’t state that my state taxes are being paid with my federal refund it will not be, which my paper work states where I need to mail my payment too. Sooo with that being said you all are trying to steal some money from me! You taking out the state taxes I owe and then still going to charge me 120 and since my paperwork says I have to mail in my payment( because I opted for that option) I still have to pay the state? Sooooo in being sight you all are taking a good 1000$ from me with no explanation!!! I need some answers immediately your customer service is no help they don’t listen or call back like they say they are!!!

@amberltucker91 wrote:

Why does my federal refund amount show that my state refund is being taken out but I opted out of that option and my paperwork that I printed out shows that I opted out of it? I’ve called multiple times and no one can answer so pretty much the irs is releasing the full amount to you but your taking my state taxes I have to pay this year out and an additional 120? I called the department of revenue and was told if my papaerwork don’t state that my state taxes are being paid with my federal refund it will not be, which my paper work states where I need to mail my payment too. Sooo with that being said you all are trying to steal some money from me! You taking out the state taxes I owe and then still going to charge me 120 and since my paperwork says I have to mail in my payment( because I opted for that option) I still have to pay the state? Sooooo in being sight you all are taking a good 1000$ from me with no explanation!!! I need some answers immediately your customer service is no help they don’t listen or call back like they say they are!!!

Taxes owed can Never be paid from a tax refund, federal or state.  You have to pay the state taxes owed based on the option you selected in the File section of the program on Step 2 and paying from the federal tax refund was Not one of those options.

What you are seeing is just the NET between your tax refund and the taxes owed.  It is the NET that is being displayed but does not mean anything is being paid from a tax refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies