Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I got a letter saying it might take 60 days to process AMD I know its bc I accidently said o was an inmate or in work release will they correct it and add the eic on their own or will I have to ame

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If I got a letter saying it might take 60 days to process AMD I know its bc I accidently said o was an inmate or in work release will they correct it and add the eic on their own or will I have to ame

No, you will need to amend your tax return and change your answer to those questions.  

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

No, the IRS will not automatically correct your Tax Return to include the Earned Income Credit (EIC).  

You will need to Amend your Tax Return by filing Form 1040-X to include Schedule EIC.  

You can click here for instructions on Amending your tax return: How to Change a Tax Return You Already Filed.  

Once you begin the Amend process, follow these steps to uncheck the "Inmate or Halfway House" Box in TurboTax:

• Click "Federal" from the left side-bar.
  • Click "Edit/Add" next to the W2 section.
  • Click "Edit" next to your W2 and step through the input process again.
  • Click "Continue" through the input process and questions until you get to the question "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W2?
  • Make sure the Inmate or Halfway House Box is NOT checked
  • Repeat this process for each of your W2s

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies