turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I went on February 28,2018 to verify my identity. Why would it take 6-9 weeks to receive my refund?

I went on June 5 2019 to verify my identity and they told me it would take up to nine weeks for the refund. Our refund was accepted on Jan 28th so after the 9 weeks I called IRS and they told me on that call it would be another 60 days...today is August 17th and still nothing it still says processing.

michelle2730
Returning Member

I went on February 28,2018 to verify my identity. Why would it take 6-9 weeks to receive my refund?

I did my taxes Jan 17,2020 then got notice of identification letter from IRS now giving me a date of April 22,2020...now on top of it the state hit me with identity letter as well but not as long as turnover as it's...i got so mad i emailed Trump smh

So I just went through the same issue. I know this is old and I hope you received your refund by now lol...

But anyways, 01/23/2020 I filed..01/27/2020 I got accepted. 21 days passed and my bars dissapeared, I called and they told me that I should have received a letter by now about verifying my identity..2 days passed I didn't get any letter so I called again and he told me that because it was sent out the day I called the first time that it should be in my mailbox in the next 4 days smh...03/02/2020 I verified my identity over the phone. She told me it can take up to 9 weeks but usually doesn't take the whole 9. Started to think I would have to wait the whole 9 weeks until today! Last night,like every night before,I would check the wmr app and it was showing the same message. Today I get a notification from my bank stating that my direct deposit has arrived 4 days early..I checked it and there it was!! Still no update on the wmr app...but I have my money so I'm happy!!! Hate that we had to go through that but im glad its over. Don't worry it'll be over with soon everyone else!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@michelle2730 

Usually, after successful verification, it takes about 9 weeks to complete processing. Alot of people, as noted above have reported receiving within 5-6 weeks.

Tips for Handling Identity Verification Requests From the IRS

Here is some information from the IRS site:

What happens after I verify online or after I call?

We’ll continue processing your return. It will take approximately nine weeks to process.

Understanding Your 5071C Letter

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sam882

Even if I verified through the actual irs 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Sam882 Yes. All verifications have to be done through the actual IRS systems. 

Millsb64
Returning Member

Of what month, I did mine this morning work the id thing how long did it take for you

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here for updated information and details for verifying your identity. 

Millsb64
Returning Member

How long will return take now

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update and show the status. The 21 days is just an estimated time frame. The IRS began processing returns on 2/12, you may not find a record of it or the website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated.

Since Turbo Tax will not have the status of your refund, continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight.

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS.

I haven’t had any luck.

still saying the same thing 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see my response above for assistance. 

@Helpneeded

Can you recall how long it took you to get your return... Back around March 21st-23rd I also had to verify my identity... around about the date above right there my status change to receive and bring process...

It's been 3 week's since status change,.. any idea of how long I have to wait???

Thanks in advance

Akz_killer33
Returning Member

Have you received anything yet ?

Akz_killer33
Returning Member

I identified on March 22 as well and I haven't received anything 😕 still waiting on a update? If anyone has any info it would really help please and thank you 🙏💯

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies